Upnor Castle

Upnor Castle belongs to the category of Henrician cosastal forts however is an Elizabethan addition to the chain. It was begun in 1599 to guard the technique to the new dockyard at Chatham, lying 2 miles away near the estuary of the River Medway. Sir Richard Lee interrupted his deal with the strongholds at Berwick-on-Tweed, to come and design this fort, but building dragged on for eight years. In 1599-1601, Upnor was bigger but it needed to wait till 1667 …